Trustee meetings are held once a month, usually on the third or fourth Thursday* (unless otherwise indicated) of the month at 1:30 p.m. at the District office and are open to the public, except for an in camera session or portion of the meeting. In camera sessions are for the discussion of legal matters, personnel matters and property acquisition. Additional meetings may be scheduled as necessary. The minutes are posted on the website once they have been adopted at the following meeting.
The Annual General Meeting is held each April. The 2017 AGM was held on Tuesday, April 25th from 7:00-9:00 pm at Community Gospel Chapel.
2017 Meeting Dates
|January 25*||April 19||July 26||October 25*|
|February 24 (Fri)||May 24||August 31*||November 14* & 23|
|March 17 (Fri)||June 23 (Fri*)||September 27*||December 7* & 21|
Effective the November meeting, the regular monthly meeting will be scheduled on the third or fourth Thursday of the month.
- January – An additional meeting was called for January 11th.
- June – The June 23rd meeting will start at 9:30 am
- August – An additional meeting was called for 9:30 am Monday, August 14th & the regular meeting date was changed to Thursday, Aug. 31st @ 9:00 am.
- September – the September 27th meeting will start at 10:00 am
- October – a meeting was scheduled for 8:30 am on Tuesday, October 4th at the request of a ratepayer to discuss a potential water source
- October -the Board has scheduled a ‘plan to plan’ workshop on Tuesday October 10th at 8:15 am to discuss how to undertake future strategic planning
- October – the October 25th meeting will start at 9:00 am
- November – an additional meeting has been scheduled on November 14th at 1:30 pm
- December – an additional meeting has been scheduled on December 7th at 9:00 am
An individual or delegation may petition/address the board at a meeting provided written application has been received by the Corporate Officer (Office Manager) by 9:00 am Monday prior to the meeting. Each address must be limited to ten minutes unless a longer period is agreed to by the unanimous vote of the board members present. It is recommended that parties wishing to address the board call or email the Corporate Officer to discuss their petition in advance of submitting it to ensure adequate information is provided. Submissions are circulated to the Board for review prior to the meeting in order that they may prepare for the meeting in order to engage in meaningful discussion with the petitioner.
The Corporate Officer may schedule a delegation to another board meeting as deemed appropriate according to the subject matter or time needed for the meeting. The Corporate Officer may refuse to place a delegation on the agenda if the issue is not considered to fall within the jurisdiction of the board.
Ratepayers and members of the general public not scheduled on the agenda are invited to observe the meeting. Time permitting, and at the discretion of the chair, questions may be asked at the end of the meeting.
Minutes and Financial Statements are available here.
2018 meeting dates are at the bottom of this page.
AGM Voter Eligibility
Per the Election Act and the District’s Letters Patent, an eligible elector for the purpose of a Trustee election is a North Salt Spring Waterworks District ratepayer who meets the following criteria:
- Is a Canadian Citizen 18 years of age or older, who has been a resident of British Columbia for at least the prior 6 months,
- Is a registered owner of land in the North Salt Spring Waterworks District area, or the authorized agent of any board or corporation that is an owner of such land, or the legal representative of any owner of such land who has died, become insolvent or insane (written proof must be provided by the representative),
- Has an account in good standing,
- Is entitled to be registered as a voter under the Election Act, and is not disqualified from voting by the Local Government Act or any other enactment.
- Is present at the meeting.
Spouses or partners who are not registered on title per BC Assessment are not entitled to vote.
2018 Meeting Dates
2018 Board Meeting Dates – Thursdays @1:30pm
|January 25||May 24||September 27|
|February 22||June 28||October 25|
|March 22||July 26||November 22|
|April 19||August 30||December 20|
Tentative date for AGM – Tuesday, April 24th at 7:00 pm (can be no later than April 30th)