Welcome to the North Salt Spring Waterworks District. We are located on Salt Spring Island – the largest of the Southern Gulf Islands, just off the Saanich Peninsula on the southern tip of Vancouver Island.
The district started in 1913 as the Ganges Power and Water utility and was incorporated as an improvement district in 1948.
The District provides potable water to a large portion of Salt Spring Island, including over 5,500 year round residents, the hospital, schools, hotels and restaurants, and many island businesses in the village of Ganges. We also provide operation and maintenance to six other water districts on the island on a contract basis. The District has developed a comprehensive water distribution and conservation bylaw and continues to collect environmental data towards a better understanding of our watersheds. We participate with local and provincial agencies and schools to raise conservation and watershed management awareness on the island.
Please enjoy our website and find out more about us by following the links.